Sunday, September 7, 2008

Not Quite Right

Things don't always turn out the way you want them to. This is stretching it, but the scarf I knitted during surgery didn't quite turn out the right way and neither did his surgery. Don't worry, they didn't find anything (else) bad, it's just that since he doesn't look like crap, it seems like he should be fine, but he's not. It's taking much longer for him to bounce back and we are basically treading water right now. It's like your first trimester, you don't obviously look pregnant so people have no sympathy for you and they just think you are hung over. He is getting better every day, we just didn't think it would be this impactful...dramatic...shitty?


Here is the scarf, it's finished and wearable; casted on when they wheeled him in and finished shortly after we came home. Pattern is Diamata (it's in my Ravelry notebook if you are interested).






In true Megababe form, I ran out of yarn for the last 2 rows and had to cannibalize off an old hat, which is now a neck warmer! The yarn is not quite right, a bit too thick and fuzzy and springy. I'm willing to knit this again using the store sample's yarn, which was sent to me by my favorite yarn fairy. Still, knitting this brought me great comfort. I needed something to do with my hands while waiting, and waiting and after 4 hours when we hadn't heard anything, then 5 hours, then 6 I wasn't stressed because I was about to purl 15 stitches together, I needed to concentrate. Then, Dh's completely hot neurosurgeon came out to update us and I blushed like a schoolgirl. It was wonderful to have the distraction, the knitting, I mean.

Knitting also relaxed me at night and gave me something to do on the shuttle ride to the hospital. I'd only get a row or two done on these socks, but it was better than nothing.






I also worked on this poncho/shrug thingy. Although I had planned to boycott the Olympics, we were in a hotel room for 2 weeks, so I worked on this while cheering Phelps, the old lady and Misty/Kerri!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you noticed there is a blue/purple theme to your knitting?

Colors are very calming.