Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Maternity Milestone and Myths

I passed an important pregnancy milestone just before my trip to It-lee. I gave into maternity underwear. I've obviously been in maternity pants and tops for several months, but there's always that last frontier. The point where you can no longer say, "you can't really tell I'm pregnant from the back," and "I can still wear my regular clothes, but the maternity ones are just more comfortable." Mysteriously, your undies get smaller and smaller, and then they just downright disappear and you have to get The Big Ones.

With my first pregnancy, I went clothes shopping with my mom. We had so much fun, her mom took her and she wanted to treat me, that's what Moms are for! We got to the undies section. I liked the leopard print bikini's. "Look they even make a maternity thong!" My mom said, "Let's buy you the briefs." Now, this is a woman who would buy me Longbutts at Christmas. You know what I mean, the kind that go halfway up your back. I know it's popular for girls to show their undies these days, but I don't think 9 inches of white cotton fabric showing above and beyond your jeans is what's in.

"I'm not going to need the briefs, Mom. I'll get these bikinis."
"We'll just get a few packs of the briefs." Mom (little did I know), wisely said.

Now, I don't want to exaggerate, but I can't stress how LARGE these SuperLongButtBriefs are. I had to fold them three times just to get them to fit in my regular underwear drawer. Over. Over. And up. They have no right to have the word, Medium, on the tag.

Well, wouldn't you know it, and it wasn't the first or last time, My mom was right. By month 8 or so, I was firing up the heavy equipment: Bring Me My Big Ones, I NEED THE BIG ONES! I just wanted to be comfortable. Without stepping over the TMI boundry, I'm not to that point yet. I'm still in the cute, obviously pregnant but not uncomfortable phase. But, I will try to dispel a popular pregnancy myth: being pregnant can pretty much suck.

I love carrying a child, I'm proud to be a woman, blah blah blah. I've also had vomiting and nausea for 5.5 months and now that it's over the heartburn has started. I have a super short fuse. We aren't blissful and glowing, we are easily irate and under stress constantly. Look at all the information we are expected to handle: drink water, but not too much, eat healthy-avoid fish, sprouts, stinky cheese and anything you used to love before, don't get too stressed-you could hurt the baby, don't get in a hot tub or raise your body temp, get exercise, but don't get out of breath. Don't lay on your back, obviously, you can't lay on your front. Try to get some sleep.

Aside from all that, I do plan to have a great summer with Butters, spending lots of time outside and enjoying being a mom of one, until all hell breaks loose and all three of our lives change forever. And the dog's, for that matter!

No comments: