Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Half Way

We've reached the half way point in DH's radiation treatment-he's been blasted 12 times and has 12 more to go. He's tired, it's hard, I'm not going to sugar coat things or bitch too much, but on the off chance that this could help others, I'll share a little of what our days are like.

DH wakes up tired and feeling like he's got a hang over, as do I, but he has a better excuse. I've decided to try and go to bed by 10:30, no more staying up late knitting and watching Girls Next Store, although if you say TV can't teach you anything, you are wrong, Kendra from GNS taught me what a 'chocolate starfish' is and that saves me from the public embarrassment of NOT knowing, ya know!

When we wake there are typically 2 kids snuggled into bed with us, or pushing us off the side. I get up with both, let DH catch a few more Zzzs and I get the coffee started. Yesterday was a special treat, my friend watched the baby so I could take Butters on his field trip to the pumpkin patch. They had a rule that you can't bring siblings but another mom brought her kids so I was a bit pissed. It was cold and foggy but the fog lifted to a beautiful day. I had on several hand knits-scarf, hat and socks.
We played back at my friend's house and jumped in the leaves. We came home, gave the baby a nap, I did TWO loads of laundry, cleaned up, vacuumed, etc. DH got ready for his appointment-he changed into a T-shirt. You can't wear buttons, I suspect because they will melt but we haven't asked. DH leaves at 4 pm, we tell Butters he's getting special medicine from the doctor, or just that he has an appointment. I stare out the window and drink wine or coffee, depending on the day, the weather and amount of sleep. I work on dinner, straighten up, referee the kids, read w/the kids or knit a row or two. I think today we'll go for a walk along the river, I hate waiting, I feel like Abigail Adams.

When T gets home, he's allowed to pull off a ring on the special count down I made him. Each loop has a reason to fight his way through the exhaustion and keep driving himself everyday to get radiated. There was one R-rated loop that my mom of course saw while she was in town. How does that always happen? I swear there could be one sex scene in an otherwise G movie and my dad would walk right in during the bad part and say, "what are you watching?"

We have dinner, everyone at the same table, which is crazy that I even have to specify that but I guess some families don't do that! DH and I entertain, feed the kids and each person shares what their favorite part of the day was. Here are yesterdays:

Me: Making silly faces with Butters on the tractor ride

Butters: Picking out a big daddy pumpkin for Daddy!

Daddy: Getting slippers as a present from Mommy! (I sewed him a pair of slippers for making it this far)

E: (our guess): playing with her friend-pictured

Then, baths, stories and bedtime. I put the baby to sleep, DH puts Butters to bed and we are done by 8:30 or so. We sit and watch TV and I fold laundry, do dishes, etc and get ready to do it all again tomorrow.


Anonymous said...

I don't know how you keep doing it everyday, but I guess you have to, right? Praying this speeds along for you. Soon it will be Halloween and then Election Day and then the end of these treatments. Hang in there.

Elizabeth said...

"I love you Carter. Hope to see you soon, Love Ziggy"

Hey, I hope these last 11 days go by quickly. Thinking about you guys a lot. Arsen will be in Seattle in early December and we might come with him.
Take care,

P. Mookie said...

Twenty years from now when Butters is working for the transportation department installing speedbumps, Ms. E. is finishing college, and you and DH are (who knows what?) this time period and experience will be but a fuzzy memory.

Hang in there.