Sunday, March 27, 2011

Back to Work

I completed my Postpartum Doula training at Bastyr University's Simkin Center and got CPR certified. I did all the required reading and finished breastfeeding training. I've got a business license and a website (visit it here) and business cards. Next, I had to find a client! I was referred to a family that was a perfect fit for me and a great example of people who need a postpartum doula. A wonderful couple from Seattle who have had some post birth complications and a partner who ended up needing surgery (details have altered to protect identity).

I've been able to do evening-night shifts, the witching hour for babies, and that has been a good fit for my family. I leave after dinner, DH puts the kids to bed and I put in most of my hours while they are asleep. It isn't exactly a smooth transition, the Princess grips my leg and begs me not to go and Butters has told me repeatedly he hates it. But, really, it's only a few nights a week and they are with their dad, so how bad can it be!

It feels good to help a family and it feels good to help my family financially. I've got a lot of balls in the air: pesticide free park, Snohomish County democrats, Master's, doula, but so far things are all coming together, although the house is a bit messier. To make things even better, we had 3 solid days of sunshine and we were outside for hours on all three days. I can see a fun summer on the horizon!

1 comment:

Patrisia said...

Wow, it's wonderful pictures. Wallace Falls is so cool.